Cello Bow by Eugène Cuniot-Hury, Mirecourt, circa 1915
About Eugène Cuniot-HuryCuniot-Hury was born in Mirecourt, one of the centres of French violin and bow making. He was born plain Eugène Cuniot, adding his wife´s surname to his own upon their marriage. Cuniot-Hury trained as a bow maker with his father, taking over the workshop after the latter´s death in 1884. Once established on his own, he began to make bows which demonstrate the influence of Charles Nicholas Bazin, particularly in the frog and button.
As the workshop became more successful, Cuniot-Hury employed several assistants, most notably Émile François Ouchard. Cuniot-Hury is unusual in allowing his assistants to make in their own style as opposed to the more common practice of strictly controlling the work. This results in an interestingly varied production and no doubt attracted fine workers such as E.F. Ouchard. The workshop was continued by Ouchard after Cuniot-Hury´s death in 1910.
About the bowThe bow was made in Mirecourt around 1915. It weighs 74 grams and the mounts are of silver and ebony. The round stick measures 695 mm in length.
The bow is unstamped, indicating that it was made to be sold in the shop of a dealer, most likely in Paris. This was very common practice at the time.
How does it play?This bow is quick, responsive and nuanced. It´s on the lighter side of things, meaning that the bow would pair very well with a bright cello which needs a little refinement to the sound. It works well off the string and feels easily controllable.
ConditionThe bow is in very good condition.
CertificationThe bow comes with the certificate of Raffin, Le Canu and Bigot.
Please get in touch for more details about this cello bow by Cuniot-Hury for sale and a member of our team will get back to you.